Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chinatown Wars on PSP

I promise this isn't going to become PLAY GTA READ GTA WRITE GTA, even though I know it has been lately. I'm sorry! I really am! I don't know what's happened, but I have been steeped in Grand Theft Auto games, but it will soon come to a close!

Before that happens, I wanted to post these screen shots Rockstar has released of the PSP version of Chinatown Wars. I have to admit I'm a little jealous.

Playing Chinatown Wars on DS was fun, but these graphical upgrades really lay on a lot more mood and realism to the city. Lighting, models, textures, and even the screen size make a huge difference with the game. I'm also interested in seeing how the HUD has changed between versions, as the map remains largely the same, but the wanted rating, text, and on screen items and points have all become much sharper.

I guess it all makes a lot more difference than I thought it would, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the PSP version will be missing out on the touch screen interactions. I'm sure that some of that stuff will be brought over in some form or other (or maybe not, who knows?), but it wouldn't be the same without the interface.

I guess in some ways, I'm glad that Rockstar will make some additional revenue off of their title that hasn't exactly moved millions on DS, but I'm also disappointed that platforms have become so splintered that an experience can't be emulated the exact same way across all users.

Such is competition, as Nintendo has found a lot of success in offering differing modes of input, bringing in new gamers and old. I don't think I have any plans on picking up a PSP anytime soon though, so I'll probably be missing out on the varied experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment