One thing that has been causing its own brand of chaos has been the economy. Of course with a new president the American people should be getting a new outlook on the financial front, as well as the rest of the world, but we'll be feeling the economic downturn for quite a while still.
The layoffs have hit industries big and small, with even Microsoft making large cuts to their work force in anticipation of losses.
Listening to the "Final" 1UP Yours podcast today while I was at work, I realized just how deep the downturn can reach. Of course, I've already written about the loss of EGM and a lot of the writers over at 1UP in brief, but even I couldn't help but mourn.
I've been listening to the 1UP Yours podcast for approximately 2 months. Every weekend, I would download the latest episode on Friday night, have it loaded onto my phone, and listen to it while I was working on Saturday or Sunday. Unfortunately, that's gone now. Luckily the Joystiq podcast and Rebel FM from some of the guys from 1UP FM are still there.
What I'm coming around to is that, I can't wait for a job to come find me.
If I'm serious about becoming part of the enthusiast press, and I am, I have to write. While this semester will see a renewed focus on my academics, that focus should be just as easily attainable in my writing and on this blog.
Here are a couple of things I would like will to accomplish on this blog and personally in my own practice by May of this year:
- One post a week in the first two full months (February, March).
- One post a day Monday through Friday after that until Finals week (April, first two weeks of May).
- One comment (even if I have to get it from a friend of mine, I would just like one comment).
- Get advice or at least ask about experience from three editors of blogs I read on a regular basis (one editor February, March, and April).
- [This space is reserved for anything I think of.]
To be clear, these are not limits. These points are benchmarks.
Wish me luck!