Friday, June 11, 2010

Writing for Game Revolution

Today, I'm heading into the Game Revolution office. I hate to say it, but the work I've been doing for them (not too mention the amount of time I've been spending reviewing games), has really monopolized what I do. When I have time to enjoy games, I just want to play Red Dead Redemption, or any number of the amazing games that have been released in the past month or so. My inbox is stuffed to the brim with E3 press releases and trailers, so I'm actually kind of surprised I've managed to snake this amount of time and update PLAY READ WRITE!

While I've done little writing for PLAY READ WRITE in the past month (and a half), I've written several things for Game Revolution. Here's a quick recap of all the work I've done for them:

REVIEWS
  • Green Day: Rock Band: This standalone Rock Band title further proves that Guitar Hero has failed where Rock Band excels. Unfortunately, it didn't score any points for the band contained on the disc.
  • Backbreaker: This football game did some interesting things in its attempt at dethroning (or at least making a decent sale's pitch towards) Madden. I was inclined to find some entertainment in Backbreaker, but ultimately, the things it did differently were just kind of wrong.
  • Split/Second: I happily traded a reviewing assignment of Skate 3 for Split/Second. The title received high marks, and I felt that it did new things in racing and a sequel would do those innovations justice. It has found a place in my collection.
  • Samurai Shodown Sen: At first I was excited about Samurai Shodown Sen, but I was unfortunately mistaken when I thought that it would be a 2D rebirth title. While I'm sure the game will find its place among fighting aficionados, there was no room for regular Joes like me.
  • How to Train Your Dragon: I played the hell out of this title, and eventually got 1000/1000 Achievement points. This might have actually been the game's downfall. The threadbare mechanics and plot served to undermine what was actually an interesting turn on the franchise's video game entry. Needless to say, it received low marks.
  • Resonance of Fate: I really wanted to like Resonance of Fate, maybe even love. I was looking for an RPG, but Resonance of Fate was too steeped in the old ways of JRPGs to really hold my attention. Even after finishing my review, I was fairly motivated to play the game and get more achievements, but I never got around to it and quickly sold the title to pay for Red Dead Redemption. I don't really regret that decision these days.
MANIFESTO POSTS
  • Backlog Summers No More: With the release of Red Dead Redemption, Split/Second, and Alan Wake all in the same week in May, I realized I'd have little time for some older games I've still been trying to play through (again).
  • Steam For Mac Off To A Buggy Start: The launch of Steam for the Mac was a little buggy, and the long unabated waiting period certainly made me all the more frustrated for it.
  • That New Game Smell!: My excitement for playing Split/Second and Red Dead Redemption knew no bounds. I pondered about what I would do when I first cracked the cellophane on those titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment