Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The challenges of multitasking...

Over the past weekend I played the copy of Mirror's Edge EA sent me for participating in one of their focus groups. I also played a little bit of Fallout 3 and had my second or third "Woah, cool" moment.

Mirror's Edge is moving very quickly, and that pace is constantly making want to return to that as opposed to Fallout 3 where I'm moving a lot slower, I'm constantly having to drop things because I'm caring too much equipment.

Despite the game play that I'm really entertained by in Mirror's Edge, I'm just not moving smoothly enough. I'm not traversing levels quickly enough. I suppose that's what the time trials are for. If I'm going to get all of those speedrun achievements, I'm going to need some practice.

That inability has left a lot of the awe I've been feeling between these two games on the Fallout side. Here's the story:

I was heading through one of the subway systems, one I thought I had already wandered through. I heard the ghouls milling about on one of the platform overpasses. I crouched down, and suddenly my display read "[Danger]" as opposed to the more friendly "[Hidden]." The ghouls were rushing me. I quickly entered VATS and selected a few shots on the head of the first ghoul and the body of the second. As soon as the animation started to play, the ghoul had already rushed up to me. As it stood over my crouched character, the head exploded with my first shot. His body fell on top of me.

As the shattered pieces of the ghouls head fell around me, I could barely appreciate the action before I had another ghoul to deal with.

That alone is what will keep me going back to Fallout 3. I'm not one for RPGs, but this set piece really impressed me. I'm hoping to head back to it tonight, despite a paper due tomorrow at 9, as well as numerous other responsibilities I have at school.

I can't wait for winter break.

No comments:

Post a Comment