Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Modern Game Marketing - Microsoft's MW2 Branded Xbox 360

I guess it's all kicked into full on over drive. I think the holiday season will still be filled with as much excitement as the industry can muster. It needs it, after all the numbers that have been declining every where, I'm sure that the industry could be enjoy a busy time for sales and some of the bigger movers in gaming. Of course that means console bundles and special editions!

And no one could deny what the offender Activision's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is turning out to be!

Of course I can understand what they want to happen, but this sort of fanfare hasn't been pulled since Halo 3, and even that game didn't seem to come from such an evil marketing place. I suppose, again, the industry's sales will have to depend on another title to move units like there's no tomorrow, but in 10-year console cycles, there's got to be a tomorrow and that might be what's happening right now.

But in a way I think this can all be swayed as a good thing. Hopefully, the console manufacturers can focus enough on their own software efforts (and with the advent of digital download services it seems to be a easy and profitable thing for them to do), we can see the limits of all these different technologies stretched in as many ways as possible.

Still, Activision's deft and nimble marketing push, dropping new information on the game weekly, growing their advertising charge on all channels in a parallel effort, makes me a little uneasy. I can't help but feel like I'm being a little to directly marketed at....

Modern Game Marketing is a series on how new games, and the corporations behind them, get you to want them.

No comments:

Post a Comment