Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Words Are On Metacritic!

When I took the internship offered to me from GameRevolution.com, I did a little digging to see just how credible and/or well-known the site was. I figured a good litmus test would be to see if GR's game reviews were picked up on the review aggregator site Metacritic. While Metacritic has become that stabbing pain in many developers' backs these days, I have to admit that I do use the site as a consumer. When you're shopping for games, and you're a college student, it pays to do a little research to make sure you're not blowing $60 on a game Gamestop will only give you $15 for when you trade it back.


Game Revolution is one of the many, many sites Metacritic draws scores from, along with such mainstays as "MS Xbox World" and "Console Monster" (as well as IGN and Gamespot, duh). I never really thought much about seeing Metacritic again until looking up reviews for Just Cause 2. Naturally, seeing Perfect Dark (XBLA) on the list of most recent Xbox 360 games, I figured I'd click over to see where my score for the game landed amongst other gaming journalists.


Little did I know that I'd landed underneath "What The Critics Said..." as GR's representative. I can't say that I'm all that proud of the pull-quotes, but I guess I have no real control over Metacritic's end of the bargain. I certainly hope there are plenty of clickthroughs from Metacritic. Maybe I can get PLAY READ WRITE on there some day? Who knows the kind of buzz I could generate from an exceptionally low or high score? How evil!

The clippings on this post are from the reviews I wrote of Perfect Dark, Greed Corp, and Scrap Metal, respectively. Do you see any other quotes from me on Metacritic?

No comments:

Post a Comment