Thursday, March 11, 2010

Windows 7 Series Phones Can Unlock Achievements


I love my iPhone, but it's getting a little older, a little less wise. I can still use a dominant percentage of the apps available in the App Store. I can still update the phone to the latest version. But the hardware is slowly getting older. Now, I can't send picture messages while my girlfriend Jenna's iPhone 3G can and I won't be able to tether my phone to my computer and use the Internet connection on the go, if AT&T ever allows that feature in the US.

What does it all mean? It means it might be time to start looking at new phones. It would be extremely easy to upgrade to an iPhone 3G. I'd be able to keep a very similar plan, the price isn't too steep, and I know how to use the iPhone the way I want to. Still, I can't help but think about unlocking achievements that add to my gamerscore while I'm riding the bus.

Windows 7 Series phones will be able to connect to Xbox Live, import gamercards, gamerscores, and avatars. What's more, games played on the Windows 7 Series OS will unlock achivements and points that contribute to the Xbox Live account's overall gamerscore, much like Games For Windows Live's achivements points contribute to gamerscores you might see while playing games on your console.


I readily admit that I'm a big achievement whore. I love unlocking points and padding my gamerscore. Sometimes if a game doesn't add to that score in a big way, I'm not as motivated to play it. Despite that, achievement points alone don't make a game for me. I might be willing to play through King Kong, but I didn't even shell out the $6 for the game. I bought it used and returned it for a full refund. Achievement points are very enticing, but I don't know if I'm willing to give up my iPhone and my secondary income (via App reviews) just to pad my gamerscore.

Of course, all of this depends on the platform. Windows 7 Series refers only to the phone's operating system, and not necessarily to the phone. Hopefully more details will surface soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment