Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Racism in FF Tactics A-2

This isn't my first foray into Final Fantasy Tactics. FF Tactics Advance took away many hours of my life back when it was released on the Game Boy Advance. Now after borrowing A-2 for the DS from my friend Austin, I'm reminded of the harrowing racism in the game. I'm joking of course, but I still think its interesting how the law system in the game affects the player's decisions.

I don't know if you can see the text in this screen shot, but underneath the first line (which displays the main objective of the battle), the law is displayed. In this particular battle, actions by Nu Mou are forbidden. Nu Mou are a race in the game. During my current play through, my black mage is a Nu Mou. I was particularly frustrated by this law set as I would have benefitted by my Nu Mou's magic abilities. Being discouraged from using a specific race might be a form of racism in games if the same race were always discouraged, but FFT A-2 generally mixes things up. Sometimes Moogles are forbidden.

While this time I waged war on the beasts of the land without my Nu Mou companion, it doesn't mean I can't ignore the judges laws next time around. I don't think I'm anywhere near the end of A-2, but in FF Tactics Advance, the conclusion of the storyline revealed that the laws were corrupt in some way (at least that's how I remember it). Will A-2 end the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment